WHO SHOULD APPLY
IS THE KATHERINE HARVEY FELLOWS PROGRAM RIGHT FOR YOU?
We recognize that it takes the work of people from a variety of backgrounds and perspectives to address community issues. While Katherine Harvey Fellows is designed specially for people working in the private and public sectors – we encourage anyone interested in expanding their impact to the people and issues they care about to apply, regardless of prior leadership experience.
Both seasoned and aspiring leaders achieve transformative learning when part of a community of diverse peers. Thus, we encourage applications from the mix of professions that all play an important role in strengthening our community including business, philanthropic, legal, faith, education, health, government and other professions. We also encourage people with different personal backgrounds and experiences and from all Santa Barbara County communities to apply.
Participants are those who express value in:
- Collaborative leadership
- Civic engagement & service to the community
- Individual growth & development
Specific Criteria includes:
- Curious personality and open to exploring new ideas
- Ready to expand how they serve the people and issues important to them in Santa Barbara County
- Able to make a full commitment to all phases of the program (see commitment below)
- Reside and/or work in Santa Barbara County
- *Note: this program was previously limited by age of participants – this is no longer a criteria.
Katherine Harvey Fellows has a limited number of spaces and we regret we cannot accept every qualified candidate. We seek maximum variability among the group which means there is no one “right” candidate. We encourage anyone with interest in the program to apply.
*We encourage people employed in traditional nonprofits to apply for our Courage to Lead, Emerging Leaders or Leading for Community Impact programs. If you have any questions regarding which program is right for you please contact Angela@leading-from-within.org.
HOW YOU CAN LEARN MORE
- Read program description on website
- Attend an Information Session: these sessions are intended for potential Katherine Harvey Fellow candidates to learn more about program details and to meet program instructors (click here to view dates/locations).
- Contact our Programs & Network Manager, Angela Manavella at firstname.lastname@example.org
Commitment & Fees
Thanks to the support from our funders and individual donations, Leading From Within is able to subsidize the original program cost down to $2,500 per participant – more details to come. Most commonly, a participant’s employer pays all or part of Leading From Within’s program fees recognizing the opportunity in professional development that benefit their agencies by empowering their employees to be more effective, authentic leaders.
Additional scholarship is available upon request – cost does NOT determine your ability to participate! Leading From Within works to shift the culture across sectors for organizations and agencies to prioritize the development of their people. Therefore, we highly encourage your employer to support you financially. You can contact our Program & Network Manager, Angela Manavella, with any questions or concerns.
Katherine Harvey Fellows is an 12-month experiential leadership-development program. Participants are expected to attend all program sessions in-person (location to be determined), once per month on Thursdays at 1:00-5:00 pm on the following 2022-23 dates:
- Spending approximately three hours per month in a variety of ways which may include:
- Pre-work preparing for sessions such as reading assigned articles, watching videos, and reflecting on material in order to fully participate in panels and workshops.
- Organized coffee-talk type meetings and discussions with community leaders
- Outside interviews and group meetings related to project focus area
- Attending meetings with mentor, an experienced community leader
- Participating in outside project-based work during the second half of program
- Engaging in optional opportunities for monthly networking coffee-type meetings
Leading From Within supports each participant in their ability to participate. If personal matters arise, our staff and instructors will do their best to accommodate any personal needs or priorities.
Start the process
About the Application Process:
We want the application process to be as easy as possible for you. Before you begin the application form, please review the following checklist and commitment details above.
Our application consists of submitting the following (all via our website):
- Applicant Profile (Contact information, demographics, etc.) – get started below!
- Current Résumé
- Application Questions Form
- Recommendation Form completed by an employer, coworker, or peer who can speak to your work and/or engagement in the community.
Across the different application components, we create opportunities for you to showcase how you:
- Be available for and committed to participating in all aspects of the program
- Ready to invest in their own learning and contribute to the cohort
- Demonstrate commitment to the Santa Barbara County nonprofit and/or social sector
- Have the potential to make a significant future contribution to the nonprofit and/or social sector community through assuming higher and increased levels of leadership
- Have the support of your direct supervisor in growing in your leadership and participating fully in the program
- Have the ability to help us build a diverse cohort (including, for example, county geography, job function, organizational mission, ethnicity, and gender)
As a reminder, we regret that we cannot take every qualified candidate due to limited space. We seek maximum variability among the group selected which means there is no one “right” candidate. Thank you for your desire to be a future change maker for the people and issues you care about.