Module Ten – Inner Fitness
With the many demands on our time each day, often we unwittingly push aside the complex questions in our lives.
We know that within those questions lie the answers to what we need to feel alive, to evolve, and to contribute in meaningful ways to our families, communities, and the world.
Life around us doesn’t slow down, so it’s up to us to schedule time to work on our inner fitness – to discover what matters most to us, and to nurture ourselves and our dreams so we can step courageously into each new chapter of life.
Joanie and Scott Kriens
Founders – 1440 Multiversity
READ: Erica Murphy – 7 Things I Learned about Life from Completely Unplugging
- Do you check your phone 1,500 times per week (USA average)? Be aware of this distraction in your life!!!
- When did you last send someone a handwritten note?
- What ways could you increase face-to-face interaction in the coming week with people you care about?
READ: Shawn Achor and Michelle Gielan – Resilience is About How You Recharge, Not How You Endure
Read the Article (opens in a new window)
- What tactics do you (or CAN you) use to increase your INTERNAL and EXTERNAL recovery?
- Would you consider using your next airplane trip as a time to be “work-free”? Try just relaxing, meditating, sleeping, journaling or listening to a podcast.
Watch + Respond
- How do YOU experience more attentive/appreciative eyes for the world around you? What practices or situations help you make sense of the present/past/future of your life?
- Would you consider an “internet sabbath” once a week? How might you use this “empty space”?
- What (specifically) can you do to open up a space in your life for stillness?
There is no class discussion this month.
“For a Leader”
by John O’Donohue
May you have the grace and wisdom
To act kindly, learning
To distinguish between what is
Personal and what is not.
May you be hospitable to criticism.
May you never put yourself at the center of things.
May you act not from arrogance but out of service.
May you work on yourself
Building up and refining the ways of your mind.
May you learn to cultivate the art of presence
In order to engage with those who meet you.
When someone fails or disappoints you
May the graciousness with which you engage
Be their stairway to renewal and refinement.
May you treasure the gifts of the mind
Through reading and creative thinking
So that you continue to be a servant of the frontier
Where the new will draw its enrichment from the old,
And you never become a functionary.
May you know the wisdom of deep listening,
The healing of wholesome words,
The encouragement of the appreciative gaze,
The decorum of held dignity,
The springtime of the bleak question.
May you have a mind that loves frontiers
So that you can evoke the bright fields
That lie beyond the view of the regular eye.
May you have good friends
To mirror your blind spots.
May leadership be for you
A true adventure of growth.
Upcoming Events & Key Dates
October 8, 8:30-10:30AM – Inner Fitness
November 12, 8:30-10:30AM – Leadership Coaching – 5 Critical Skills
Explore Ecology – 302 E Cota St, 2nd Floor, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
December 10, 8:30-10:30AM – Breakfast with Mentors
Moby Dick Restaurant
January 14, 8:30-10:30AM – Tell a Simple Story
February 11, 3:00-5:00 PM – Tribes and Networks
March 17, 8:30-10:30AM –When Boards Make a Difference
April 14, 3:00PM – The Attitude of Gratitude
May 12, 12:00-5:00PM – Retreat
June 16, 3:00-5:00PM – Team Presentations
There are no additional resources this month.