WHO SHOULD APPLY
IS THE EMERGING LEADERS PROGRAM A MATCH FOR YOU?
Emerging Leaders is designed for nonprofit / social sector professionals in Santa Barbara County who have demonstrated a commitment to the community and are interested in expanding their capacity for leadership. Participants must be employed in the nonprofit or broader social sector and have the support of their Executive Director, CEO, Board Chair and/or other mentor in an executive/board position. In terms of role, we welcome professionals across the position spectrum (program, development, administration, marketing, as well as newer Executive Directors).
Please know the selection process is competitive, and not all applicants will be accepted. Our selection criteria include:
- Commitment to Growth – Showing a commitment to their own professional development, and a readiness to invest in growing in their leadership and participating fully in all aspects of the program
- Commitment to Sector – Demonstrating a commitment to the Santa Barbara County nonprofit / social sector, and a strong intention to make a career in the field
- Potential for Advancement – Having a sense of how they want to grow their impact at an individual, organizational and community level, matched with the potential to do so
- Ability to Put Learning to Work – Having a role where they can directly apply the leadership and management concepts, tools and lessons learned
- Support of Organizational Leadership – Having the support of their manager or Executive Director or Board Chair in growing in their leadership and participating fully in the program
- Add to Diversity and Richness of Class – Their ability to help us build a diverse cohort (including county geography, job function, organizational mission, ethnicity, and gender) and add to the richness of the Emerging Leaders learning community
We typically receive more applications than we have space for. In addition to assessing each candidate’s strengths and experience, the Emerging Leaders Selection Committee often gives preference to certain categories of candidates, including:
- Returning applicants (who applied for a prior cohort and were not accepted)
- Candidates who have at least three years of professional experience in nonprofit / social sector leadership
- Candidates who demonstrate a commitment to the Santa Barbara County social sector
- Applicants whose organization serves Santa Barbara County residents
If you would like to explore your interest in the Emerging Leaders program or have specific questions, please email us to request additional information.
COMMITMENT, FEES, & DATES
YOUR COMMITMENT TO THE EMERGING LEADERS PROGRAM
We ask that participants and their Executive Director (or Board Chair, if applicant is the Executive Director) be fully committed to the program, including:
- Reviewing the dates of the program and promising to do everything possible to make sure the participant is available for those dates
- Understanding that there will be approximately three hours of coursework between monthly sessions which might include meetings with people within in the organization or with community members, reading articles, or exploring the participant’s organization in greater depth within the context of the program
More information coming soon!
2020 PROGRAM DATES
START THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Emerging Leaders assembles a select cohort of emerging leaders from Santa Barbara County’s nonprofit organizations. Please know the selection process is competitive, and not all applicants will be accepted. Our selection criteria include:
- Demonstrated commitment to the Santa Barbara County nonprofit/social sector
- Having the potential to make a significant future contribution to the nonprofit / social sector community through assuming higher and increased levels of leadership
- Having the support of their manager or Executive Director or Board Chair in growing in their leadership and participating fully in the program
- Their ability to help us build a diverse cohort (including county geography, job function, organizational mission, ethnicity, and gender)
- Being available for and committed to participating in all aspects of the program
- Readiness to invest in their own learning, contribute to the cohort, and commit to participating in all aspects of the program
Applications for Emerging Leaders are now closed. If you would like to be notified when applications are open for the next cohort, please contact our Operations Manager, Sarah Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us at 805-770-3232.