WHO SHOULD APPLY
IS THE EMERGING LEADERS PROGRAM A MATCH FOR YOU?
Emerging Leaders is designed for nonprofit and social sector professionals in Santa Barbara County who have demonstrated a commitment to the community and are interested in expanding their capacity for leadership. Participants must be employed in the nonprofit and/or broader social sector and have the support of their direct supervisor and their organization’s Executive Director (or equivalent). In terms of role, we welcome professionals across the position spectrum (program, development, administration, marketing, as well as newer executives).
Please know the selection process is competitive, and not all applicants will be accepted. Our selection criteria include:
- Commitment to Growth – Showing a commitment to their own professional development, and a readiness to invest in growing in their leadership and participating fully in all aspects of the program
- Commitment to Sector – Demonstrating a commitment to the Santa Barbara County nonprofit and social sector, and a strong intention to make a career in the field
- Potential for Advancement – Having a sense of how they want to grow their impact at an individual, organizational and community level, matched with the potential to do so
- Ability to Put Learning to Work – Having a role where they can directly apply the leadership and management concepts, tools and lessons learned
- Support of Organizational Leadership – Having the support of direct supervisor and their organization’s Executive Director or Board Chair (or equivalent) in growing in their leadership and participating fully in the program
- Add to Diversity and Richness of Class – Their ability to help us build a diverse cohort (including, for example, county geography, job function, organizational mission, ethnicity, and gender) and add to the wisdom of the Emerging Leaders learning community
We typically receive more applications than we have space for. In addition to assessing each candidate’s strengths and experience, the Emerging Leaders Selection Committee often gives preference to certain categories of candidates, including:
- Returning applicants (who applied for a prior cohort and were not accepted)
- Candidates who have at least three years of professional experience in the nonprofit and social sector
- Candidates who demonstrate a commitment to the Santa Barbara County nonprofit and social sector
- Applicants whose organizations serve Santa Barbara County residents
If you would like to explore your interest in the Emerging Leaders program or have specific questions, please email us to request additional information.
COMMITMENT, FEES & DATES
YOUR COMMITMENT TO THE EMERGING LEADERS PROGRAM
- Reviewing the dates of the program and promising to do everything possible to make sure the participant is available for those dates
- Understanding that there will be approximately three hours of coursework between monthly sessions, which might include meetings with people within in the organization or with community members, reading articles, completing assignments, or exploring the participant’s organization in greater depth within the context of the program
Thanks to our generous donors, the fee charged to each participating organization is less than half of the cost of putting on the program. Program fees depend on employer budget size:
Program Fee is $1,500 for Organizations with budgets under $1 million
Program Fee is $2,500 for Organizations with budgets over $1 million
2020-21 PROGRAM DATES
Cohort 8 program sessions run from October 2020 – July 2021.
Orientation (1:00 – 5:00 pm)
Full Day Sessions (9:00 am -5:00pm tentative)
October 23 | Session 1
November 20 | Session 2
December 11 | Session 3
January 29 | Session 4
February 26 | Session 5
March 19| Session 6
April 23 | Session 7
May 21| Session 8
June 25| Session 9
July 21 | Culminating (public) Event
July 23| Final Session 10
Our cohort 9 for Emerging Leaders is set to begin January 2022.
START THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Emerging Leaders assembles a select cohort of emerging leaders from Santa Barbara County’s nonprofit and social sector organizations. Please know the selection process is competitive, and not all applicants will be accepted. Our selection criteria include:
- Demonstrated commitment to the Santa Barbara County nonprofit and/or social sector
- Having the potential to make a significant future contribution to the nonprofit and/or social sector community through assuming higher and increased levels of leadership
- Having the support of their direct supervisor and the organization’s Executive Director or Board Chair (or equivalent) in growing in their leadership and participating fully in the program
- Their ability to help us build a diverse cohort (including, for example, county geography, job function, organizational mission, ethnicity, and gender)
- Being available for and committed to participating in all aspects of the program
- Readiness to invest in their own learning and contribute to the cohort
After completion of your Applicant Profile, you will receive details and links for submitting additional documents/forms:
- Current Résumé
- Application Questions Form
- Recommendation Form completed by a Board Chair, Executive Director, or Department Director
Applications will be available here in October 2021.
If you have any questions, or would like outreach when applications open, please click here to complete and submit our Program Interest Form.