WHO SHOULD APPLY
IS THE EMERGING LEADERS PROGRAM A MATCH FOR YOU?
Emerging Leaders is designed for nonprofit / social sector professionals in Santa Barbara County who have demonstrated a commitment to the community and are interested in developing their capacity for leadership. Participants must be employed in the nonprofit or broader social sector and have the support of their Executive Director, CEO, Board Chair and/or other mentor in an executive/board position. In terms of role, we welcome professionals across the position spectrum (program, development, administration, marketing, as well as newer Executive Directors).
Please know the selection process is competitive, and not all applicants will be accepted. Our selection criteria include:
- Commitment to Growth – Showing a commitment to their own professional development, and a readiness to invest in growing in their leadership and participating fully in all aspects of the program
- Commitment to Sector – Demonstrating a commitment to the Santa Barbara County nonprofit / social sector, and a strong intention to make a career in the field
- Potential for Advancement – Having a sense of how they want to grow their impact at an individual, organizational and community level, matched with the potential to do so
- Ability to Put Learning to Work – Having a role where they can directly apply the leadership and management concepts, tools and lessons learned
- Support of Organizational Leadership – Having the support of their manager or Executive Director or Board Chair in growing in their leadership and participating fully in the program
- Add to Diversity and Richness of Class – Their ability to help us build a diverse cohort (including county geography, job function, organizational mission, ethnicity, and gender) and add to the richness of the Emerging Leaders learning community
We typically receive more applications than we have space for. In addition to assessing each candidate’s strengths and experience, the Emerging Leaders Selection Committee often gives preference to certain categories of candidates, including:
- Re-applicants (who applied for a prior cohort and were not accepted)
- Candidates who’ve had at least three years professional experience in nonprofit / social sector leadership
- Candidates who demonstrated a commitment to the Santa Barbara County social sector
- Applicants whose organization serves Santa Barbara County residents
If you would like to explore your interest in the ELP program or have specific questions, please email us to request additional information.
COMMITMENT, FEES, & DATES
YOUR COMMITMENT TO THE EMERGING LEADERS PROGRAM
We ask that participants and their Executive Director (or Board Chair, if applicant is the Executive Director) be fully committed to the program, including:
- Reviewing the dates of the program and promising to do everything possible to make sure the participant is available for those dates
- Understanding that there will be approximately three hours of coursework between monthly sessions which might include meetings with people within in the organization or with community members, reading articles, or exploring the participant’s organization in greater depth within the context of the program
Thanks to the generosity of the Santa Barbara Foundation and other donors, the cost to each participating organization is a fraction of the $3,000 per person cost of putting on the program. Program fees depend on employer budget size:
BUDGET SIZE PROGRAM FEE
< $1 million $750
> $1 million $1500
2018 PROGRAM DATES
Program sessions run from January 2018 – October 2018. All sessions run from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm and are held at the Orfalea Downtown Center in downtown Santa Barbara. While lunch is provided, please be prepared to pay for parking (city parking lot located directly across the street–each hour or part of an hour after the initial 75 minutes is $1.50).
An orientation will be held on Friday, January 12 from 1:30 – 5:00 pm at Lotusland (with optional tour at noon).
Orientation (1:30 – 5:00 pm)
START THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications for the 2018 cohort will be accepted starting in early September 2017. If you want to receive notification of when registration opens, please email our Operations Manager Sarah Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are here to help. If you have any questions or need assistance, please feel free to contact us at 805-770-3232.