YOU ARE INVITED TO APPLY OR NOMINATE
We recognize that it takes the work of people from a variety of backgrounds and perspectives to address community issues. Anyone interested in expanding their impact to the people and issues they care about is encouraged to apply regardless of prior leadership experience.
Both seasoned and aspiring leaders achieve transformative learning when part of a community of diverse peers. Thus, we encourage applications from the mix of professions that all play an important role in strengthening our community including business, legal, faith, education, government and other professions.* We also encourage people with different personal backgrounds and experiences and from all Santa Barbara County communities to apply.
Specific Criteria includes:
- Curious personality and open to exploring new ideas
- Ready to expand how they serve the people and issues important to them in Santa Barbara County
- Able to make a full commitment to all phases of the program (see commitment below)
- Reside and/or work in Santa Barbara County
- Age 25-45
Katherine Harvey Fellows has a limited number of spaces and we regret we cannot accept every qualified candidate. We seek maximum variability among the group which means there is no one “right” candidate. We encourage anyone with interest in the program to apply.
*We encourage people employed in traditional nonprofits to apply for our Emerging Leaders or Leading for Community Impact programs. If you have any questions regarding which program is right for you please contact Julie@leading-from-within.org.
HOW YOU CAN LEARN MORE
- Read program description on website
- Attend an Information Session: Information Sessions are intended for potential Katherine Harvey Fellow candidates, and scheduled for September in Santa Barbara and Santa Maria. Info Sessions will be scheduled during the open application period
- Contact us with questions by email or by phone: 805-770-3232
Our foundation and individual supporters and donors choose to invest in this program because of their belief in the program’s impact on strengthening the social sector. To honor this confidence, we ask that all nominees be fully committed to the program including:
- Making a personal contribution to the program of any amount in lieu of program fees. Typical contributions range from $25 to $4,000.
- Spending approximately five hours per month in a variety of ways which may include:
- Pre-work preparing for sessions such as reading assigned articles, watching videos, and reflecting on material in order to fully participate in panels and workshops.
- Attending 2.5-hour panel type discussions on most months
- One 4-hour retreat at start of program and one 4-hour retreat at end of program
- Organized coffee-talk type meetings and discussions with community leaders (on months with no 2-hour panel)
- Outside interviews and group meetings related to project focus area
- Attending quarterly meetings with mentor, an experienced community leader
- Participating in outside project-based work (for research, selection and fundraising) during the second half of program
- With support and guidance from instructors, organizing and facilitating (in teams) one panel discussions/or topic specific workshop with community expert.
- Engaging in optional opportunities for monthly networking coffee-type meetings
Start the process
Applications & Nominations are now closed.
*Note: a nomination is not required to apply to the program. You may apply directly.
About the Application Process:
We want the application process to be as easy as possible for you. Before you begin the application form, please review the following checklist and commitment details above.
You will be asked for the following information:
- Gender Preference
- Current employment and title
- Mailing address
- Email address
Additionally, you will be asked to upload three documents:
Letter stating why you are applying for the program – This letter should state why you are interested in the program and what you hope to get out of it. You may also include any community involvement to date and/or any personal experiences that shaped your desire to be a future community influencer. Please remember we are looking for candidates with unrealized potential as well as those with demonstrated potential and everyone in between.
Letter of recommendation – This letter may be from anyone of your choice. This letter should include attributes of your personal character that demonstrate your concern for people and issues in our community regardless of involvement or action to date. This may be through conversations you’ve had with them, personal experiences that have shaped your community views, or actual engagement (big or small) serving the people and issues your care about. This letter should speak to your potential and ability to make a commitment to the program.
Resume, Bio or LinkedIn Profile – You may submit whatever is easiest for you, but please include:
- Career path
- Current position
- Community service activities
- Contact information
As a reminder, we regret that we cannot take every qualified candidate due to limited space. We seek maximum variability among the group selected which means there is no one “right” candidate. Thank you for your desire to be a future change maker for the people and issues you care about.